Friday, March 30, 2012

relationships in Project server2k3-> reporting services?

Ok,
We have setup SQL2005 reporting services with MOSS integration. I have
created a datasource that points at our Project server 2003 SQL
database so that we can start to create project server reports. The
data source works just fine BUT its *doesnt* pick up any relationships
between tables from the Project2k3 SQL database.
This means that when you create a report builder report the first
table you selct becomes the primary and no others are visable :( not
very useful for creating meaningful reports.
Questions:
a) How does SQL2005RS read the relationships between table entities in
a remote DB so that they can be used together within the report
builder?
b) Does anyone have recommendations, URLs, How-tos on setting up
reporting services against Project server 2003?
Tips welcome
Al BlakeI have written many reports against the Project Server 2003 database. I have
found there are not relationships in the Project Server database. You always
have to create your own joins of the data.
Most of the time I will create a query using query analyzer, Then use SRS
to group ,filter and sum the data.
Hope this helps
--
Ray McCoppin
http://www.randsmanagement.com
Project Server reports.
"scubaal" wrote:
> Ok,
> We have setup SQL2005 reporting services with MOSS integration. I have
> created a datasource that points at our Project server 2003 SQL
> database so that we can start to create project server reports. The
> data source works just fine BUT its *doesnt* pick up any relationships
> between tables from the Project2k3 SQL database.
> This means that when you create a report builder report the first
> table you selct becomes the primary and no others are visable :( not
> very useful for creating meaningful reports.
> Questions:
> a) How does SQL2005RS read the relationships between table entities in
> a remote DB so that they can be used together within the report
> builder?
> b) Does anyone have recommendations, URLs, How-tos on setting up
> reporting services against Project server 2003?
> Tips welcome
> Al Blake
>|||Thanks for the feedback. I thought that was the case but wanted be
sure I hadnt missed something.
I am quite comfortable in making the queries through SQL QA until I
get the right result but then I am unclear as to how I get this into
the SQL2005RS environment through MOSS.
Are you saying I should define views within the SQL database and then
use report builder to make a report against that?
OR
is there some way to 'parameterise' the Report Model object when you
create it to use a SQL queiry with join as the basis of its model?
As far as I can see when I create a RB model the ONLY option I have is
the datasource I want to use......there doesnt seem to be any way to
create an RBM from a datasourse using
SELECT * FROM A,B WHERE A.ID=B.ID
or am I missing something again?
Regards

No comments:

Post a Comment